Having bad breath or halitosis is such a terrible condition that could affect your confidence, your relationship with people, and even your health.
To date, a large number of more than 80 million people suffers from bad breath. The usual cause is illness of the gum, loose fillings, terrible oral hygiene, tongue debris, or other health issues. You could add to the problem by the food you eat and your unhealthy lifestyle. The good news is that there are many ways to prevent bad breath to happen to you. Here are some advice:
- Brush twice a day and do it for at least two minutes every time. That will take away the food debris and the food remains in your teeth. Make it a habit to brush your teeth before sleeping. You can also use baking soda to lessen the acid in your mouth. Choose a toothbrush with soft bristles and do not overdo it. Too much brushing can also destroy your teeth.
- Floss every day. Brushing alone cannot remove the food debris in between your teeth but floss can.
- Scrape or brush your tongue. There are bacteria that is left in your tongue that gives that awful smell. Brush them using your toothbrush or you can use a tongue scraper which you can purchase in any drugstore near you. They can help take away the dead cells and food debris that your brush cannot reach.
- Rinse your mouth with mouthwash and choose one that could kill the germs and one with a minty taste that will make you feel refresh. You could also rinse your mouth with water with a bit of peppermint oil. You can also use green or black tea which can subdue the bacteria in your mouth.
- Stop smoking. People who smokes has bad breath as tobacco dries up your mouth leaving an awful smell even if you have brushed for a good 2 minutes. It can also stain your teeth and it causes cancer. See a doctor to know your quit smoking options.
- Wet your mouth. Drink plenty of water to wet your mouth. It does wash away everything that is in your mouth which causes bad breath.
- Stay away from foods that makes your breath sour. We all know that onions and garlic can cause our breath to smell bad. That very smell goes to the lungs and when we breathe out, there goes the smell that could offend the people around you. It is pretty embarrassing especially if you are in a social gathering. The easiest way of doing it is by simply not eating them.
- Have a sugarless candy or gum that will help. Gum increases the flow of your saliva which is our natural guard from plaque acids that induces bad breath. Bacteria loves sugar, so take a sugarless gum or candy. Like water, this too can wash away the bacteria and food debris.
- Chew either a carrot, an apple, or a stick of celery. This is another way of washing away bacteria. It also soothe bad breath due to hunger. Remember that acid builds up when the stomach is empty.
- Visit your dentist regularly. This is a good practice to check that you are doing a great job on your oral hygiene. Your dentist will also know if bad breath is a dental concern or you need to see a physician.
For any dental emergencies and concerns, call us at (928) 888-1888, or you may visit Algodones Dentist directly. We accept walk-in clients.